Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Lou May Have Prejudice, But He Also Has Pride

Day 56 - Pride and Prejudice The Game

It is a truth universally acknowledged that not all books make good board games. This game based on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice just didn't make the "high society" of board games in my opinion. First of all the game components are very cheaply made. The board is good quality, but the rest of the pieces are made of a very thin cardboard. The game is for 2 to 4 players and it really doesn't take too long to play (around 30 minutes or so). The game is pretty simple; each player chooses a couple from the story and moves the individual characters around gaining "Regency Tokens" and "Novel Tokens." You need to have some basic understanding of the characters and what happens in the book (or movie) to be able to collect the required "Novel Tokens." Luckily, I have watched both the older movie (5 hour long one), the newer version (Keira Knightley one), and of course the Wishbone version.

Side note or a big SHOUT OUT: I am so grateful for the shows I grew up with and was faithful watching such as Wishbone, The Magic School Bus, and Bill Nye The Science Guy. I learned so much and I am sad that these shows are not really on T.V. for my kids as they grow up. Wishbone particularly educated me well in classic literature and I was surprising my parents all of the time with my in depth knowledge of these different classics. Thank you Wishbone, part of my win tonight is dedicated to you! Oh, and for Magic School Bus fans, I just learned tonight that you will soon be able to buy the complete series on DVD (AWESOME!)

Yes, I won tonight! I think that that fact alone should tell you that you don't need to know much about Pride and Prejudice to do well in the game (watch the newest movie for time sake and you should be good to go). The game is basically a Candy Land type game with a bit of trivia in it as well. The game plays pretty well though, so it isn't terrible. Could be a great game to have in an English teacher's classroom. The trivia as I have said already is pretty general and probably wouldn't give a fan of the book any trouble whatsoever. So, I would say the game doesn't really appeal well to the hard core fans (too easy, a bit boring) and it won't appeal to those who don't know anything about it either. I actually had fun playing the game tonight and really the movies are not as bad as I thought them to be (I would still pick the shorter Keira Knightley version over any of the others).

In honor of a poem I wrote in High School regarding Colin Firth (aka Mr. Darcy): Firthy, Firthy, Firthy...it amazes me the impact you have had on young ladies (and old ladies) around the world. What is this hold you have created on the hearts of women everywhere? Is it because your English? Is it because of your dimple chin? No, they have just fell in love with another form of Mr. Darcy and that is How Lou Sees It.

No comments:

Post a Comment